Re: Browser Issues

From: David Woolley <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 00:00:50 +0000 (GMT)
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
> I was reading some information about the Maguire v. SOCOG case this morning,
> and one of the comments was that web sites should be accessible regardless
> of the user's browser.  How is this even possible?  Netscape 3.0 and
> Netscape 6.2 are completely different browsers.

But they both use HTML, which was designed, if written according to the
intended spirit, to degrade gracefully; in fact the original design aims
of HTML were not only to do this, but also to aim towards a lowest common
denominator.

If you treat HTML as a page description language, you will fail dismally
in this context, but I think you will fail more generally to make pages
accessible if you do that.  HTML should convey the same meaning, within
the limits of the browser, on every browser, not look the same.

Most current HTML design is about subverting HTML into a page description
language, in which case browser compatibility becomes a major problem.