Long desc techniques - what is the url pointing to?

From: Jim Ley <jim@jibbering.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 16:09:12 -0000
Hi

All the examples of longdesc usage that I can find, point to a document
which is just a plain text description of the image, none of them include
the image itself on this url, which means this url itself is not
accessible, I'd obviously like it to be (I don't like the idea of
orphaned pages in any case, which aren't meaningful if found in a search
engine, I don't know where people will arrive.)

Is there some reason for the longdesc being so simple?

Jim.