RE: HTML 4.x or XHTML for accessibility

Interesting thread so far, but Simon, if you are looking for a PRACTICAL
reason to use one over the other, try this.

A buddy of mine proudly showed off his new RIM Blackberry... it was very
cool.  One of the neat features was his ability to access web content
wirelessly.  Not sure exactly the whole process, but it grabbed text/html
and converted it on the fly to WML so that the Blackberry could receive.

We did a test, and while HTML 4.01 Trans. was decent, and HTML4.01 Strict
even better, pages authored to XHTML strict were virtually flawless.  Now
the Blackberry is not quite as ubiquitous as the Palm (yet), but it ain't no
sci-fi toy either... there are plenty of them out there all ready.  As a
content owner I would want my information available to the broadest possible
audience (right?), and so, whenever possible, I would look to use XHTML,
only because it does just that.

Cheers!

JF