RE: Deleted text & Strike-through

From: Jon Hanna <jon@spinsol.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 17:24:45 -0000
To: "'wai-ig list'" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

> The words "old text" would be formatted as strike through, and "new
> text" would be underlined.
[snip]
> (2) Do we have any guidelines on how a screen reader SHOULD
> identify such text?

Surely that would depend on why the document was being read. You say
that <del> text should be struck through, but it would be just as
sensible not to display it at all if the reader only wanted to read
the document in its current state.

Similarly one way a screen reader could validly render such text is
to ignore it, another would be to insert content so it would be come:

This is the, used to be; old text, changed to; new text.