RE: content guidelines checkpoint 3.1

From: Steven McCaffrey <smccaffr@MAIL.NYSED.GOV>
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2000 09:43:21 -0400
To: <DJW@bts.co.uk>, <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
[DJW] "... where they simply bulks out the contents"

What does this mean?

WCAG 1.0:
"The guidelines do not suggest avoiding
images as a way to improve accessibility. Instead, they explain that providing a
text equivalent of the image will make it accessible. "

My Statement of my interpretation of the checkpoints was
no checkpoint is of the form "Thou shalt not do ... ",
but rather, "If you do ... then you must also provide ..."
which the above quote from the WCAG 1.0 itself says even more clearly than I.

It is not clear whether anything you raised is directly opposed to this.

-Steeve

Steve McCaffrey
Senior Programmer/Analyst
Information Technology Services
New York State Department of Education
(518)-473-3453
smccaffr@mail.nysed.gov
Member,
New York State Workgroup on Accessibility to Information Technology
Web Design Subcommittee
http://web.nysed.gov/cio/access/webdesignsubcommittee.html