Re: appropriate hypertext

From: Karl Ove Hufthammer <huftis@bigfoot.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2000 01:11:17 +0200
To: "Philip Ramsey" <jamaican@colis.com>, <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
----- Original Message -----
From: "Philip Ramsey" <jamaican@colis.com>
To: <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Sent: Friday, July 21, 2000 4:55 PM
Subject: Re: appropriate hypertext

| If I remember correctly, the advice was: read the hypertext link
| out aloud and if it made sense it was good.

Yes, link text should IMO work just as well as if it has just been ordinary

Example -- bad use link text:

_Click here_ to read some articles I've written about web design and palm trees.

Example -- good link text:

I've written some articles about _web design_ and _palm trees_ which you might
find interesting.

| With IBM's HPR, you
| would end up with "Click Here" "Click Here" "Click Here" "Click
| Here" for the links preview, which would not made sense to
| anyone. Following the (I think it was Kynn's) advice "Click here
| to go to Whitehouse.com" "Click here to go to W3C.com" or simply
| "Whitehouse.com" "W3C.com" will make sense by it's self in HPR
| links preview. In pwWebSpeak, It will read "LINK Click here"
| followed by the regular text, which may make sense. However,
| using the keyboard to navigate through the page to get to the
| different links will result in "LINK Click here" "LINK Click
| here" "LINK Click here" "LINK Click here" which would not make
| any sense to the user while ""LINK Click here for Whitehouse.com"
| "LINK Click here for W3C.com" or simply "Whitehouse.com" or
| "W3C.com" would make sense.

You can find official information from the _White House_. The _W3C_ is the
consortium behind the _HTML Recommendation_.

Doesn't this look/sound better?

I might also mention that Opera 4 has a very nice feature, activated by Ctrl+J,
which displays a list of all links in the document (either in the order they
appear in the document or alphabetised). A long list of 'Click here' or 'Click
here to access Whitehouse.gov', 'Click here to access the W3C homepage' doesn't
look good.

Karl Ove Hufthammer