Re: making an online course accessible

At 07:53 AM 2/23/2000 , Lynn Alford wrote:
>We are trying at James Cook University to develop a very accessible web
>site.  The target clients are those who may have cognitive problems after
>an accident.

I haven't looked at your pages -- and in truth, I don't feel
qualified to comment on accessibility for cognitive disabilities
(yet) because the field is (currently) rather unexplored -- but
I would like to thank you for the way you phrased your question.

We use "accessible" and "inaccessible" as shorthand all the time,
but in truth, accessibility as a concept depends on having a
_subject_ (or is it an object?) of the sort "accessible _to_ ***."
Our goal is to make the content accessible _to_ everyone from an
idealistic standpoint; accessible _to_ "as many people as we
possibly can, given our own limitations" from a practical standpoint.

It's very good that you've identified who your audience is, because
that helps us to better gauge the effects of your design practices
upon your target audience.