RE: Tool Tip behavior

From: Kynn Bartlett <kynn-hwg@idyllmtn.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2000 12:58:38 -0800
To: "Leonard R. Kasday" <kasday@ACM.org>
At 07:11 AM 2/24/2000 , Leonard R. Kasday wrote:
>My understanding is that Title is what's supposed to pop up for sighted folks.  Therefore it should add to--not be redundant to the image.

Let's not think of it that way.  For starters, let's not say "this is
for <people with particular abilities or disabilities>."

Also, TITLE is not meant as a "pop-up" any more than it's meant as
a label to be read by a screenreader.  In truth, it's just a way to
add meta-information called "title" to an element.

>For example, if there's a "contact us" button, it would be silly to redundantly pop up "contact us" for a sighted person.  It's more reasonable to pop up something that adds to what they are already reading, e.g.  "and we'll listen".

That's reasonable -- if you assume it's a pop-up.  However, to
title a button "and we'll listen" is to ignore the purpose of the
TITLE element, which is provide -- ta da -- a "title."

Proper titling should be done despite whatever the user agents
decide to do.  If there needs to be a specific TOOLTIP attribute,
that might be the best approach for certain user agents, using
extensible additions to XHTML.