RE: About ABBR

From: Dick Brown <dickb@microsoft.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 09:59:55 -0800
Cc: thatch@us.ibm.com, "Gregory J. Rosmaita" <unagi69@concentric.net>, pjenkins@us.ibm.com
At 9:36 AM 2/18/2000, Ann Navarro wrote:

> Sites can be single-A compliant without even trying if they use valid HTML
and even marginal design sense.

Ann, I respectfully disagree.

I think Web site owners *should* devote whatever resources and money are
necessary to make their sites accessible. But it is simplistic to say that
sites can be Single-A compliant just by using valid HTML and "even marginal
design sense." There are all sorts of goals to consider when designing a
site, and accessibililty is just one of them. Other goals include making
money, appealing to diverse audiences, being visually appealing, and fitting
in with a corporate image. Web developers are not magicians - they have to
work hard to balance the design requirements of those various goals.

Dick Brown
Program Manager, Web Accessibility
Microsoft Corp.