Single Browser Intranets (was: Web Accessibility Myths)

From: Kynn Bartlett <kynn-hwg@idyllmtn.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 1999 12:38:01 -0700
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
At 12:12 PM 10/24/1999 , Neff, Robert wrote:
>Sorry, but I can think of more than one reason to NOT support multiple
>browsers on an intranet.  Security is number one!  Design and rework is two
>- CSS is not forgiving on multiple browsers and even within two versions of
>the same browser.  Three - IT capitalization and cost to support.  Four -
>the way plug-ins are handled...

I have to agree with Robert on this -- in the real world, as long as
you are able to support all your users with one browser (and that
includes users with disabilities), then it makes all the sense in
the world to only support one given browser for Intranet use.

With all respect intended towards Charles, the W3C is _not_ a
typical organization at all and therefore makes a terrible model
to say "look, we have 50 people with 8 different browsers."  In a
corporate environment, mandating a particular browser for Intranet
access is common sense and good business practice.

(Caveat, of course, is that the content must still be made
accessible to people within the company.)