Style sheets for access

From: Charles McCathieNevile <charlesn@sunrise.srl.rmit.edu.au>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 1997 15:38:40 +1100 (EST)
To: WAI <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
NB I do not receive this list. please add me to replies
charlesn@srl.rmit.edu.au

The difficulty is introduced by CSS allowing user-defined sheets. In
earlier HTML, there were a fixed number of Styles (H1, H2, P, UL etc).
Setting up 'presentation sheets' for these could take advantage of the
multi-media aspects of CSS such as the ability to define an
audio style, a screen style, etc. without risking it being subsequently
over-ridden. (Except Author sheets override reader sheets, which
seems stupid to me)

Another possibility would be to change the interpretation of specificity.
If a user could declare an H1 style, to be regarded as specific to every
instance of H1, including a class, id, etc, it would alleviate the
difficulty.

Charles McCathieNevile
Sunrise Research Lab
RMIT University