Re: Style sheets for access

From: Jutta Treviranus <jutta.treviranus@utoronto.ca>
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 1997 13:55:09 -0500
To: Jon Gunderson <jongund@uiuc.edu>
Cc: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
John Gunderson wrote:
>The user style sheet need to more than over ride author styles or even
>there sub classing styles like H1.  Since many authors will use absolute
>positioning in spatial formatting, if you say enlarge all H1 (and it also
>enlarges sub classes) you may end up with a screen full of alphabet soup.
>What is need in the browser is a mechanism to say ignor the entire author
>style sheet and use just mine.  This would eliminate the impossible task of
>users needing to know anything about the authors classing or positioning of
>tags.

JT:
I agree, this would then depend on the browser.

There may be situations however when we do want some of the author style
declarations to come through. I can't think of a good example right now but
I have come up with some in other conversations. For this reason it would
be good to have a strong, specific override mechanism in CSS. Could we have
something similar to "important!", possibly "access!" which can only be
used in the user style sheet?

Jutta Treviranus

ATRC
University of Toronto