W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > w3c-wai-ig@w3.org > October to December 1997

RE: Style sheets for access

From: Wendy A Chisholm <chisholm@trace.wisc.edu>
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 1997 17:26:13 -0600
Message-Id: <3.0.32.19971205172612.0072ff44@144.92.134.116>
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Hi all,

The latest version of the CSS2 specification draft  (11/07/1997) specifies
the following cascading order.  It includes an "important" attribute (as
Jutta suggested).  for more info see http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-CSS2/cascade.html

1.  declarations marked '!important' carry more weight than unmarked
(normal) declarations.  
2.  Author's style sheets override reader's style sheets which override the
user agent's default values.
3.  More specific declarations override more general ones.

"This strategy gives author's style sheets considerably higher weight than
those of the reader.  It is therefore important that the user agent gives
the user the ability to turn off the influence of certain style sheets,
e.g. through a pull-down menu...A reader rule with an important declaration
will override an author rule with a normal declaration.  An author rule
with an important declaration will override a reader rule with an important
declaration."

--wendy


At 02:09 PM 12/5/97 -0800, Charles (Chuck) Oppermann wrote:
>Another possibility is to do what IE4 does - individual control over
>rendering of fonts and colors.  At present, IE doesn't support <LAYER> and
>I'm told it never will because of absolute positioning problems.  CSS is
>definitely the way to go there.
>
>How about recommending that browsers implement a "user always wins" switch?
>
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From:	jutta.treviranus@utoronto.ca [SMTP:jutta.treviranus@utoronto.ca]
>> Sent:	Friday, December 05, 1997 10:55 AM
>> To:	Jon Gunderson
>> Cc:	w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
>> Subject:	Re: Style sheets for access
>> 
>> John Gunderson wrote:
>> >The user style sheet need to more than over ride author styles or even
>> >there sub classing styles like H1.  Since many authors will use absolute
>> >positioning in spatial formatting, if you say enlarge all H1 (and it also
>> >enlarges sub classes) you may end up with a screen full of alphabet soup.
>> >What is need in the browser is a mechanism to say ignor the entire author
>> >style sheet and use just mine.  This would eliminate the impossible task
>> of
>> >users needing to know anything about the authors classing or positioning
>> of
>> >tags.
>> 
>> JT:
>> I agree, this would then depend on the browser.
>> 
>> There may be situations however when we do want some of the author style
>> declarations to come through. I can't think of a good example right now
>> but
>> I have come up with some in other conversations. For this reason it would
>> be good to have a strong, specific override mechanism in CSS. Could we
>> have
>> something similar to "important!", possibly "access!" which can only be
>> used in the user style sheet?
>> 
>> 
>> Jutta Treviranus
>> 
>> ATRC
>> University of Toronto
>> jutta.treviranus@utoronto.ca
>> (416)978-5240
>> 
>
wendy chisholm
researcher - human factors engineer
trace research and development center
university of wisconsin - madison, USA
Received on Friday, 5 December 1997 18:27:03 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Tuesday, 19 July 2011 18:13:38 GMT