Re: Essential Controls

Hello Patrick,

Pushback and discussion are good -- its how we get good SC.

Just to clarify, this isn't saying that scrolling isn't allowed at all,
just that it shouldn't be needed to get to a control that allows main
navigation or that starts/progresses/ends a progress from the expected
place where that control is needed. The intent is that this apply to the
expected screen sizes that are being tested, without additional
magnification/zoom.  Do you have any suggestions on how to clarify all that?

Regards,

Rachael

On Thu, Jul 18, 2019 at 3:46 PM Patrick H. Lauke <redux@splintered.co.uk>
wrote:

> On 18/07/2019 20:34, Rachael Bradley Montgomery wrote:
> > Jon,
> >
> > I believe the intent of this SC was that scrolling of any kind,
> > including auto-scrolling, would not be needed.  That makes designing
> > long forms with numerous optional fields more difficult to design for
> > but other techniques such as pagination, collapsible, and thoughtful
> > placement of required fields within the process can be used to address
> > this SC.
>
> This will be extremely challenging, if not impossible, on smaller/mobile
> screens, particularly in landscape mode.
>
> I'd also caution that simply saying outright that scrolling is not
> allowed will have many ramifications - how does this interact with other
> SCs and requirements, like being able to zoom to 200% at least (which
> would then half the amount of available screen real estate)? And at what
> screen/browser window resolution?
>
> A priori, I can foresee a lot of pushback on this (not least from me,
> I'm afraid)

> Patrick H. Lauke

Rachael Montgomery, PhD
Director, Accessible Community