Re: Essential Controls

On 18/07/2019 20:55, Rachael Bradley Montgomery wrote:
> Pushback and discussion are good -- its how we get good SC.

+1

> Just to clarify, this isn't saying that scrolling isn't allowed at all,
> just that it shouldn't be needed to get to a control that allows main
> navigation or that starts/progresses/ends a progress from the expected
> place where that control is needed. The intent is that this apply to the
> expected screen sizes that are being tested, without additional
> magnification/zoom.  Do you have any suggestions on how to clarify all that?

Indeed we can't say scrolling isn't allowed. To some extent I see this
SC is taking a complex design trade-off that designers already make and
saying it is critical to avoid being a barrier to people with cognitive
disabilities, not just an inconvenience. That design trade-off is that
any at any viewport size, zoom or magnification level the important
controls should be easy to locate. that means are ideally immediately
obvious, or less desirably can be found without random exploration.
However, scrolling or expansion will be required sometimes, that's life.

This issue of cognitive accessibility requirements moving more SCs from
more technical specifications towards a space where designers are making
decisions as part of their "job" is something we'll have to deal with
*very* carefully. I guess is probably a good 1st SC to explore this in.

Steve