Re: Essential Controls

On 18/07/2019 20:55, Rachael Bradley Montgomery wrote:

> Just to clarify, this isn't saying that scrolling isn't allowed at all,
> just that it shouldn't be needed to get to a control that allows main
> navigation or that starts/progresses/ends a progress from the expected
> place where that control is needed.

Imagine a form, even already split out into multiple paginations/steps.
Depending on how generously sized text and form controls are, you may
not be able to fit more than one, maybe two, text entry fields into the
available vertical space on a mobile device in landscape mode before
having the need for vertical scrolling. This would potentially result in
sites having to split each individual form field into its own separate
step to allow for sufficient space to have that field and the
"Next"/"Submit" buttons to appear without scrolling.

> The intent is that this apply to the
> expected screen sizes that are being tested,

In a responsive world that can potentially mean any size, from a tiny
(in CSS pixels) Apple watch to a large-scale monitor at 4k resolution.
To be testable, the SC needs to be more specific about at least a lower
boundary (see for instance how SC 1.4.10 Reflow had to be specific about
vertical/horizontal dimensions in CSS pixels - though as I've argued
before, it shouldn't just be a single measure, but a "down to" sliding
scale/lower bound).

> without additional
> magnification/zoom.  Do you have any suggestions on how to clarify all that?

Patrick H. Lauke