RE: Instant icon comprehension

From: Slatin, John M <john_slatin@austin.utexas.edu>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 10:33:23 -0500
To: "Bailey, Bruce" <Bruce.Bailey@ed.gov>, "~:'' ????????????" <j.chetwynd@btinternet.com>
Cc: "WCAG" <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>

Bruce,

Thanks for the description. But I would treat it as a longdesc rather
than an alt attribute: the alt should serve the same purpose/convey the
same information as the icon (to warn people about something...), while
the longdesc provides the description.

I think HTML Technique * H2: Combining adjacent image and text links for
the same resource might be adapted to create a new sufficient technique
called something like Using icons or other visual symbols combined with
text to identify the purpose of a link.  (As I recall, the WWAAC made a
recommendation like this in their comments on the November 2004 (?)
draft.)

http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/WCAG20/WD-WCAG20-TECHS-20070220/Overview.html#H
2

John