RE: Instant icon comprehension

From: Sean Hayes <Sean.Hayes@microsoft.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 13:14:35 +0000
To: "~:'' ありがとうございました。" <j.chetwynd@btinternet.com>
CC: WCAG <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>, David MacDonald <befree@magma.ca>, "Slatin, John M" <john_slatin@austin.utexas.edu>, Hiroshi Kawamura <hkawa@rehab.go.jp>, Hiroshi Kawamura <hiroshi@kawamura.name>, Loretta Guarino Reid <lorettaguarino@google.com>, Sofia Celic <Sofia.Celic@visionaustralia.org>, Jan Dekelver <jan.dekelver@khk.be>, Chuck Hitchcock <chitchcock@cast.org>, Gez Lemon <gez.lemon@gmail.com>, Clayton Lewis <clayton.lewis@colorado.edu>, Gian Sampson-Wild <gian@tkh.com.au>, Keith Smith <k.smith@bild.org.uk>, Roberto Scano <rscano@iwa-italy.org>, Stephen Shore <Tumbalaika@aol.com>, Nancy Ward <nward@thedesk.info>, Paul Bowman <pbowman@gmu.edu>, John Slatin <jslatin@mail.utexas.edu>, Elbert Johns <ejohns@thearclink.org>, Gregg Vanderheiden <gv@trace.wisc.edu>, Michael Cooper <cooper@w3.org>, Judy Brewer <jbrewer@w3.org>, lisa Seeman <lisa@ubaccess.com>

Without undermining your point that symbols are valuable, especially in international situations, even in context though the fact that this symbol is presented in a yellow triangle (pre-learned association) means that we are to take this as a warning; if this was on some other background it might indicate for example that the animal itself had an injured hand, or was prone to biting itself under stress.

Sean.