(unknown charset) Re: "commercial websites that have adopted symbolic based accessibility"

From: (unknown charset) ~:'' ありがとうございました。 <j.chetwynd@btinternet.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 16:35:17 +0000
Cc: (unknown charset) "Slatin, John M" <john_slatin@austin.utexas.edu>, "lisa" <lisa@ubaccess.com>, "David MacDonald" <befree@magma.ca>, "Bailey, Bruce" <Bruce.Bailey@ed.gov>, "Loretta Guarino Reid" <lorettaguarino@google.com>, "Sofia Celic" <Sofia.Celic@visionaustralia.org>, "Jan Dekelver" <jan.dekelver@khk.be>, "Chuck Hitchcock" <chitchcock@cast.org>, "Hiroshi Kawamura" <hkawa@rehab.go.jp>, "Gez Lemon" <gez.lemon@gmail.com>, "Clayton Lewis" <clayton.lewis@colorado.edu>, "Gian Sampson-Wild" <gian@tkh.com.au>, "Keith Smith" <k.smith@bild.org.uk>, "Roberto Scano" <rscano@iwa-italy.org>, "Stephen Shore" <Tumbalaika@aol.com>, "Nancy Ward" <nward@thedesk.info>, "Paul Bowman" <pbowman@gmu.edu>, "John Slatin" <jslatin@mail.utexas.edu>, "Elbert Johns" <ejohns@thearclink.org>, "Gregg Vanderheiden" <gv@trace.wisc.edu>, "Michael Cooper" <cooper@w3.org>, "Judy Brewer" <jbrewer@w3.org>, "WCAG" <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
To: (unknown charset) Andrew Kirkpatrick <akirkpat@adobe.com>

Andrew,

an initial preview indicated that Camino for instance has a
preferences method:
Camino: Preferences: Web Features: Content Control: Block Flash
Animations (JavaScript must be enabled to block Flash)

Blocking flash is little different to blocking images, which many UAs
provide.

When in the late 80's I built a simple spider to crawl the web and
search for suitable sites for PwLD my initial assumptions was that
any page with either a large image or plenty of images would be
suitable.
I very quickly learnt that what I needed to exclude was pages with
large amounts of text.

So in that sense, I'd advocate a tool to reduce or even exclude text
for some users.

just as John finds the audio assault from flash overbearing, others
find icons incomprehensible and many find text hard to interpret.

regards

Jonathan Chetwynd

On 16 Mar 2007, at 15:23, Andrew Kirkpatrick wrote:

> Yesterday I agreed a t a lunch meeting to file bug reports
> with UA developers to provide a dialogue that enables Flash
> to be disabled.
> When instituted this should meet some of your concerns
> regarding Disney.

Jonathan,
I'm a bit confused as to why you are perceiving this as a significant
benefit.  Are you also advocating for a dialog to disable SVG?  Given
that there has been and continues to be active work around accessible
Flash I'm not sure if you aren't advocating for the wrong thing - in
some cases developers to need to do additional work to ensure that
solid keyboard access is available, but there is a good bit that can
be had for free in Flash also, particularly when using the provided
Flash UI components.

AWK