RE: "commercial websites that have adopted symbolic based accessibility"

From: Andrew Kirkpatrick <akirkpat@adobe.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 08:36:48 -0700
To: "Slatin, John M" <john_slatin@austin.utexas.edu>, "~:'' ????????????" <j.chetwynd@btinternet.com>
Cc: "lisa" <lisa@ubaccess.com>, "David MacDonald" <befree@magma.ca>, "Bailey, Bruce" <Bruce.Bailey@ed.gov>, "Loretta Guarino Reid" <lorettaguarino@google.com>, "Sofia Celic" <Sofia.Celic@visionaustralia.org>, "Jan Dekelver" <jan.dekelver@khk.be>, "Chuck Hitchcock" <chitchcock@cast.org>, "Hiroshi Kawamura" <hkawa@rehab.go.jp>, "Gez Lemon" <gez.lemon@gmail.com>, "Clayton Lewis" <clayton.lewis@colorado.edu>, "Gian Sampson-Wild" <gian@tkh.com.au>, "Keith Smith" <k.smith@bild.org.uk>, "Roberto Scano" <rscano@iwa-italy.org>, "Stephen Shore" <Tumbalaika@aol.com>, "Nancy Ward" <nward@thedesk.info>, "Paul Bowman" <pbowman@gmu.edu>, "John Slatin" <jslatin@mail.utexas.edu>, "Elbert Johns" <ejohns@thearclink.org>, "Gregg Vanderheiden" <gv@trace.wisc.edu>, "Michael Cooper" <cooper@w3.org>, "Judy Brewer" <jbrewer@w3.org>, "WCAG" <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>

> Flash has come a long way toward the *possibility* of
> accessibility in the last couple of years. It would have been

John,
Just to clarify, accessibility has been a development topic for over 5
years.

> possible for the developers of the Disney site  to achieve
> considerably more accessibility. But Disney would have had to
> include it in the project requirements document, in enough

Sure.  Just as with an HTML site.  In a quick glance at the Disney site
the home page's Flash content is missing two things - image equivalents
and a defined tab order.  Defining the tab order is the item that
differs from an HTML version of the same content.  There are certainly
Flash applications that are more complex and difficult to make
accessible, but this isn't one of them.

Of course, there is some question about whether screen reader access is
the appropriate method of access for young kids who may be viewing the
site and who haven't learned to use a screen reader yet...  Flash can
help with this also.

> I'm very interested in your work with SVG. Do you know of any
> SVG viewers that are accessible to users who are blind?

The only SVG voicing tool that I know of is a ViewPlus product, IVEO.

AWK