Re: Should validity be P1 or P2? (was RE: summary of resolutions from last 2 days)

Sorry Becky but you intend that if DHTML works for IE and mozilla it is accessible? And what about for other OS and other Browser? And for PDA? You could said: "pda are not our target", but i reply: "a friend of mine (a blind guy) uses pocketpc  with Jaws...

----- Messaggio originale -----
    Da: "Becky_Gibson@notesdev.ibm.com"<Becky_Gibson@notesdev.ibm.com>
    Inviato: 21/06/05 12.55.16
    A: "w3c-wai-gl@w3.org"<w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
    Oggetto: Re: Should validity be P1 or P2? (was RE: summary of resolutions   from  last 2 days)

    This thread refers to "valid" code and I'm not sure everyone has the same
    definition.  In my mind valid HTML/XHTML code conforms to a DTD or schema
    - there are no errors when I test with a validity checker such as that
    provided by the W3C.  Well formed code will parse correctly but may not be
    valid.  It may have attributes specified for certain elements that are not
    part of the DTD.  The Level 1 SC addresses well-formed code but not
    necessarily valid code.  It is true that well formed code does not
    guarantee accessibility but it does help the assistive technologies to
    interpret the code. Yes, the user agents do a pretty good job of ignoring
    some set of coding errors and visually displaying the content but I
    believe the job is more difficult for assistive technologies. Thus, I can
    live with a requirement at level 1 that my code is well-formed - that is
    good coding practice and can help accessibility.   I can not live with a
    requirement for completely VALID code at level 1.

    For example, The DHTML roadmap extensions that I and others are working on
    are meant to help accessibility. We are taking the paradigm of the client
    to the web by adding full keyboard support and the use of arrow keys to
    navigate rather than relying only on the tab key.   See
    http://www.mozilla.org/access/dhtml/ for more details on the Firefox
    solutions, we are working on IE compatible solutions.  Because the code
    relies on user agent extensions to allow the tabindex attribute on any
    element (and thus allow focus to that element), this code will not
    validate.  In the current HTML and XHTML DTDs, the tabindex attribute is
    specified only for the anchor and input elements.  If the requirement for
    valid code that conforms to a DTD is required at Level 1, I would not be
    able to use the DHTML roadmap to create a more accessible page!  We are
    working within the W3C to get this new technology fully supported in the
    specifications. But, that takes time and until that happens I could not
    conform to WCAG 2.0 if the validity requirement was at Level 1.   WCAG 2.0
    should not restrict projects that are working to improve accessibility by
    including Level 1 requirements that do not always guarantee accessibility.

    (Since I know some of you will object to the DHTML roadmap technologies I
    want to acknowledge that, Yes, the DHTML roadmap work does require
    JavaScript as part of the baseline technologies.  It may not be
    appropriate for all web sites but is certainly applicable in web
    applications where the audience and technologies in use are known).

    Becky Gibson
    Web Accessibility Architect

    IBM Emerging Internet Technologies
    5 Technology Park Drive
    Westford, MA 01886
    Voice: 978 399-6101; t/l 333-6101
    Email: gibsonb@us.ibm.com

[Messaggio troncato. Toccare Modifica->Segna per il download per recuperare la restante parte.]