Re: Should validity be P1 or P2? (was RE: summary of resolutions from last 2 days)

From: Isofarro <lists@isofarro.uklinux.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 21:18:42 +0100
To: John M Slatin <john_slatin@austin.utexas.edu>
CC: Joe Clark <joeclark@joeclark.org>, WAI-GL <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>

John M Slatin wrote:
> Joe Clark wrote:

> Nobody has provided even the standard three
> *real-world* examples that I repeatedly call for and never get.
>
> Here is a very small example in which valid code doesn't guarantee
> accessibility. The following table validates for HTML 4.01 transitional.
> JAWS 5.0 and 6.10 do not recognize it as a table. Home Page Reader 3.04
> handles it properly.

The reason why JAWS doesn't recognise the supplied example as a table is
because its seeing that each "part" of the table (the thead and tbody)
has only one cell in a particular direction, and is making the mistaken
assumption that in supplied example the table is a layout table, not a
data table.

If you duplicate the /table/tbody/tr so the table has two rows, then
JAWS recognises it as a table (well my copy of JAWS 5.10 does).

This is a good example of the accessibility problem of using tables for
layout, JAWS tries to figure out whether a table is being used for
tabular data or layout, and in this case gets it wrong.

Mike