RE: HTML/XHTML, mime-types, Strict & Transitional [was Re: Semantics]

From: Roberto Scano (IWA/HWG) <rscano@iwa-italy.org>
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 15:13:30 +0200
To: <david@dorward.me.uk>, <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>

----- Messaggio originale -----
    Da: "David Dorward"<david@dorward.me.uk>

 I'd hope that nobody is actually doing that - there are plenty of user
    agents other then IE which don't render application/xhtml+xml
    documents.

Roberto:
Yes, but xhtml should be served correctly if supported by UA: this means that the same page will conform to two different SC depending from the UA used by the user?

    David:
    I don't see why the use of <applet> and <embed> would require that
    section to be renamed (although I agree that Markup Techniques is
    better). Both elements exist just as much in XHTML 1.0 as XHTML 4.01
    (i.e. <applet> is only in Transitional and <embed> doesn't appear at
    all).

Roberto:

David:
Ditto, but there is also the "Never prompt a new window ever, let the
    user decide when they want one" school of thought, for which there are
    some good accessibility arguments:
    http://diveintoaccessibility.org/day_16_not_opening_new_windows.html
Roberto:
Yes, but script used for new windows can blocked also by popup blocker, target attribute cannot.