1.4 background sound

From: David MacDonald <befree@magma.ca>
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 18:54:55 -0400
To: <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>, "'Wendy Chisholm'" <wendy@w3.org>, "'Ben Caldwell'" <Caldwell@trace.wisc.edu>, "'Michael Cooper'" <michaelc@watchfire.com>
Happy Brussels

I was to research the support for turning off background sounds/music in
various browsers.

To test IE 6.0 I went to a site that had a midi file playing on autostart
using this code.

<embed autostart="true" hidden="true" loop="true"

Turning off background music the Multimedia section of the advanced options
in IE had no effect on it.   The loop kept playing

I went to the thunder site. http://www.laits.utexas.edu/kimmel/   It used a
FLASH .swf file to generate the sound.

<embed src="sounds/rain.swf"
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="32" height="32"
scale="noborder">   </embed>\

In IE and opera you can turn off <bgsound src="yourmusicfile.mid"
loop="infinite"> but it is specific to only those two browsers

Firefox has no mechanism to turn off background sound.

So I think that yesterday's resolution regarding background sound was good.

David MacDonald

.Access empowers people
            .barriers disable them.

 <http://www.eramp.com> www.eramp.com