Re: Implications of proposed baseline definitions

On Wed, 25 May 2005, Joe Clark wrote:

> On Wed, 11 May 2005 lguarino@adobe.com wrote:
>

> > Baselines specify technologies, not browsers.
>
> In what way is a browser not a technology?
It isn't a technology under the definition of "technology" that the
working group has decided to adopt. This usage is consistent with W3C
practice, as in the phrase "W3C technologies".

> We don't get to select a la carte from HTML, CSS, and JavaScript support.
> We may have to install a plug-in for SVG or PDF, but really, the most
> granular level of a technology *is* a browser for nearly everyone on the
> Web.

The whole point of the guidelines, though, is to address that which is not
true for nearly everyone on the Web, and to cover all of the reasonable
possibilities in so doing. I also concur with Loretta's response on this
thread.