Re: Implications of proposed baseline definitions

On Thu, 26 May 2005, Jason White wrote:

> The whole point of the guidelines, though, is to address that which is not
> true for nearly everyone on the Web, and to cover all of the reasonable
> possibilities in so doing.

That wasn't written at all well. What I meant was, one purpose of the
guidelines is to cover the cases in which the assumptions that can be made
with respect to a majority - even a substantial majority - of people on
the Web, don't apply. Not only do the guidelines call for robustness in
the use of Web-related technologies, but they must also be robust
themselves by anticipating and dealing with unusual scenarios that may
arise during the application of the specification. In this respect they
are similar to legislation, which is typically drafted with a view toward
covering all of the foreseeable possibilities and applications, and
formulating the requirements to ensure that the desired results are
achieved in these cases.