Re: [minutes] 19 May 2005 WCAG WG telecon

From: Joe Clark <joeclark@joeclark.org>
Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 23:42:39 +0000 (UTC)
To: WAI-GL <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>

>     For any technologies not in the chosen baseline, the following are true:
>
>        1. The Web content still conforms using user agents that only
> support the technologies that are in the baseline (i.e. the use of
> technologies that are not in the baseline does not "break" access to the
> Web content by user agents that don't support them.)

If this is an attempt to require progressive enhancement and graceful
degradation, it is extremely difficult to understand.

>        2. All content and functionality are available using only the
> baseline technologies.

But the preamble of the guideline excludes this possibility. We are
talking about "technologies not in the chosen baseline." Or is there more
than one baseline?

And, if take literally, this is a flat restatement of WCAG 1's requirement
for every single thing to be available in anti-X that is available in X.

--

     Joe Clark | joeclark@joeclark.org
       --This.