RE: working definition of baseline

From: John M Slatin <john_slatin@austin.utexas.edu>
Date: Fri, 6 May 2005 09:56:01 -0500
To: <jasonw@ariel.its.unimelb.edu.au>, "Web Content Guidelines" <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>

Jason writes:

<propose>
A minimum set of technologies assumed in the design of Web content to be
supported by, and enabled in, all user agents capable of providing a
user interface for the content. Only user agents in which every
technology in the baseline is supported and enabled can present the
information in and allow a user to operate the functionality of the
content. </propose>

I do think this is clearer, but would like to suggest an addition that
Becky called for in an earlier thread about defining baseline.

It's been a working assumption that somewhere in the Techniques
documents we'll be talking about three possible baselines-- for the sake
of argument I'll call them Minimalist, Pragmatist, and Futurologist--
and the techniques that support each of them.

I think our definition of baseline should be worded in such a way as to
acknowledge the existence of multiple baselines-- I'm worried that the
definition above sounds too much like there is One and Only One True
Baseline.  So I propose the following:

<newProposal>
A minimum set of technologies assumed in the design of Web content to be
supported by, and enabled in, all user agents capable of providing a
user interface for the content. Only user agents in which every
technology in the defined baseline is supported and enabled can present
the information in and allow a user to operate the functionality of the
content.
</newProposal>

John
"Good design is accessible design."