Re: Graceful degradation (was: Re: Issues summary, GL 4.2)

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 lguarino@adobe.com wrote:

> > Graceful degradation is a term already in wide use in Web standards.
> It is
> > not something we should attempt to redefine.

Is there a widely accepted definition in any of the standards that uses
the term?

> It may be widely used in Web standards, but one of the 4.2 issues was
> a request for us to explain what we meant by it! And what we are
> requiring appears to be a bit stronger; it says that the functionality
> should not degrade if only the baseline technologies are available.

If this differs from the customary meaning of "graceful degradation" then
I suggest avoiding the term altogether. On the other hand, if there isn't
a widely accepted definition then there would appear to be no harm in
defining and using it as proposed.