Re: Graceful degradation (was: Re: Issues summary, GL 4.2)

From: <lguarino@adobe.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 14:48:13 -0700
To: Joe Clark <joeclark@joeclark.org>
Cc: WAI-GL <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>

> Graceful degradation is a term already in wide use in Web standards.
It is
> not something we should attempt to redefine.

It may be widely used in Web standards, but one of the 4.2 issues was
a request for us to explain what we meant by it! And what we are
requiring appears to be a bit stronger; it says that the functionality
should not degrade if only the baseline technologies are available.

Should we include the term as part of the baseline definition? I would
not recommend removing the explanation.