Re: WARNING: Yet another virus sent by 'Wendy'

From: Jason White <jasonw@ariel.its.unimelb.edu.au>
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2005 11:13:01 +1000
To: "Yvette P. Hoitink" <y.p.hoitink@heritas.nl>
Cc: <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>

Yvette P. Hoitink writes:

 > Apparently, someone on this group is still infected. The virus sends
 > messages to addresses in the address book and uses Wendy's account as a fake
 > from address. It could be anyone on this group that uses Windows as an
 > operating system.

Couldn't it just as easily be someone outside this group who uses
Windows and happens to have Wendy's address in their address book? The
W3C Smartlist mailing list software rejects messages sent by
non-subscribers, but as the virus is forging Wendy's address I assume
the message would get through, whether the infected party is
subscribed to this mailing list or not.