Re: RE: RE: RE: Impact Analysis for Guideline 4.2

From: <lguarino@adobe.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2005 21:56:29 -0700
To: John M Slatin <john_slatin@austin.utexas.edu>
Cc: w3c-wai-gl@w3.org

> Loretta wrote (in response to Gregg):
> I think the screen reader access would need to be provided by the user
> agent for the technology in which you
> are creating the user interface. So this question would definitely
> affect baseline
> implied separation between the user agent and the screen reader that
> makes the user agent *responsible* somehow for providing screen reader
> functionality? Am I reading that right?

Strictly speaking, from a UAAG conformance claim perspective, the browser/screen reader combination would
be considered a single User Agent. You would make claims to satisfy the Speech contenet type of UAAG based
on their combined functionality. But I don't think this implicit inclusion of assistive technology is obvious when
we refer to user agents, so I have been calling out the assistive technology explicitly.

Section 508 fundamentally requires that the browser/software application provide support for APIs that would
enable assistive technology to support it. But it doesn't actually require that there exist assistive technology that
does support it. I think we are suggesting that all pieces of the software chain be considered when selecting
baseline technologies.