Re: [#1059] Prohibit URLs with javascript protocol

From: <Becky_Gibson@notesdev.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 17:10:39 -0400
To: w3c-wai-gl@w3.org
Michael wrote:
Links that use the Javascript protocol, e.g.,

are unusable by browsers that do not support JavaScript.

There should be a technique that advises authors not to use javascript
links. Instead, they should provide an http link to a fallback page, and
instantiate the desired script using event handlers. For example:

end Michael quote

While I agree that hrefs that use the JavaScript protocol are unusable by
browsers that do not support JavaScript,  I don't believe that is an
accessibility issue but rather a usability issue.  As a web developer I
should be able to make the decision of whether or not my site will run
with JavaScript turned off or not.  I believe that if my site uses
JavaScript AND it is accessible in a browser that supports JavaScript, it
should pass WCAG 2.0 at level 1.

One can argue that the web developer should always provide a fallback url
and use the second technique (although you should use the onclick event
rather than onactivate since the browsers implement onactivate very
differently).  But could I work around this by having the fallback page
state, "You must have a browser capable of JavaScript and have JavaScript
support turned on to use this site"?  I don't believe that is what Michael
intended but it could be a way to "work around" this requirement without
making the site any more usable.  And, if I am required to create a
working fallback page for each link, why even bother to use JavaScript at
all as I have just doubled my amount of coding and have probably lost the
benefits of using JavaScript in the first place?

-becky

Becky Gibson
Web Accessibility Architect

IBM Emerging Internet Technologies