Re: R: WCAG 1.0 - checkpoint 11.4, policy and parallel web sites

From: <lguarino@adobe.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2004 05:53:17 -0800
To: Roberto Castaldo <r.castaldo@iol.it>
Cc: "'John M Slatin'" <john_slatin@austin.utexas.edu>, "'Gregg Vanderheiden'" <gv@trace.wisc.edu>, "'Roberto Scano (IWA/HWG)'" <rscano@iwa-italy.org>, ij@w3.org, w3c-wai-gl@w3.org, jbrewer@w3.org

> Roberto Castaldo:
> That's one of the main points against the alternative web
sites;
> the content source must be one and unique, the resultant
> web pages (or sites in  this case) may be multiple using CSS
> or XSLT; all others solutions  should be explicitally
> forbidden because they cannot ensure that the "main"
> page and the "alternative" ones have the same content
> and functionality.

Are we really proposing modifications to WCAG 1.0 at this
point? Forbidding other solutions seems like we are narrowing
the original guideline.

Or are we arguing that WCAG2 should take a narrower stance?

Although it may be easier to ensure equivalence using CSS or
XSLT on the same underlying content, there is neither a
guarantee that the transformation really is equivalent, nor can
we claim that other approaches won't produce equivalent
pages.

Loretta