RE: WCAG 1.0 - checkpoint 11.4, policy and parallel web sites

From: John M Slatin <john_slatin@austin.utexas.edu>
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2004 08:53:19 -0500
To: "Roberto Castaldo" <r.castaldo@iol.it>, "Gregg Vanderheiden" <gv@trace.wisc.edu>, "Roberto Scano \(IWA/HWG\)" <rscano@iwa-italy.org>, <ij@w3.org>
Cc: <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>, <jbrewer@w3.org>

Roberto Castaldo wrote:
Hi John, hi group

It was me (Roberto Castaldo), not Scano who answered to Gregg... How
many Robertos in this group!!! ;-)
Whoops! Sorry about that!

John:
I am also coming to agree with the position Lisa Seaman took in a recent
post: that 11.4 *may* allow alternative *renderings* when they are
generated from a single source, for example an XML source to which
different XSLT transformations are applied.

Roberto Castaldo:
That's one of the main points against the alternative web sites; the
content source must be one and unique, the resultant web pages (or sites
in this
case) may be multiple using CSS or XSLT; all others solutions should be
explicitally forbidden because they cannot ensure that the "main" page
and the "alternative" ones have the same content and functionality.

John:
Right. So if there's agreement that we want to preserve this requirement
in WCAG 2.0, we'll need to make sure it's in there somewhere--
presumably under 1.3?