RE: Guideline 2.4 L2, SC2 Skip nav link

Lisa Seeman writes:
 > [quoting me]
 >
 > > Why should it not be at level 3 in WCAG 2.0? The only good
 > > argument for having it at level 2 that I can think of is cognitive.
 >
 > I don't think it helps people with learning disabilities.

What I had in mind was that some people with cognitive disabilities who
also use assistive technologies receive greater benefit.

 > Identifying main content as a role (in XHTML 2.0) will probably be more
 > useful.

I agree. This success criterion is yet another example of asking
content authors to step in and compensate for what user agents don't
support. Where user agents do support proper structural navigation,
the success criterion is at least worded so that it is trivially
satisfied, and hence becomes redundant. As usual, the question of when
an author is entitled to declare user agent support as available, is
left unanswered (what we have is an implicit "until user agents"
qualification).

I also think this criterion should be at level 3 anyway as it is just
a convenience for the user and doesn't remove major barriers to
access. It was priority 3 in WCAG 1.0 and I don't understand why it
should be at level 2 now.