RE: [wcag2] Definition of 'complex content'

From: Joe Clark <joeclark@joeclark.org>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 16:00:19 +0000 (UTC)
To: WAI-GL <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>

> "In general, content is considered complex if it requires much effort
> and trouble to be analyzed or understood. In particular, this could mean
> that the displayed information is too capacious, is ordered too dense,
> consists of many interconnected parts or uses different presentation
> styles for kindred information chunks. Observance of these guidelines
> helps to make sure that content does not become too complex."

I think this formulation, and its subsequent ineffectual rewrites, are
pretty awful. Not only does it embody the same problem it's trying to
solve, it's way too vague and can be used as a cudgel by LD advocates to
bully well-meaning authors into rewriting their content to suit the
advocates.

I don't see how any further tweaks will really fix this formulation. I
urge the Working Group to break from precedent (whereby any proposal by
preferred persons gets immediately accepted with possible tiny future
tweaks) and simply ignore this one. Back to the drawing board.

--

     Joe Clark | joeclark@joeclark.org
     Expect criticism if you top-post