Re: /colour/colourblindness.html

From: Kynn Bartlett <kynn-edapta@idyllmtn.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2002 17:26:11 -0800
To: "Charles F. Munat" <chas@munat.com>, w3c-wai-gl@w3.org
At 4:38 PM -0800 2/5/02, Charles F. Munat wrote:
>Kynn Bartlett wrote:
>>Unfortunately can't do it just by doing, e.g.:
>>(x) Apply a generic style sheet to a page.
>>You need to have that analysis and mapping and application
>process.
>Why? Why can't I just map all reds on the page -- for example -- to
>a known color that I can recognize? Granted, the color space is
>smaller, but how many colors are used on a web page typically?

Oh, that's fine and that's what I suggested based on your initial
proposal.

>Obviously images would be a problem (another blow to
>text-in-images), but if CSS can override the default colors, why
>wouldn't this work?

Because there's no rules for color transformations built into CSS.
I can't write something which says:

   ~~color: blue~~ { color: red; }

>It might not work 100% of the time, but why wouldn't it work most of the time?

Oh, well, what you suggest should work pretty reliably most of the time;
the only problem is that it can't be done with CSS unless there's
major changes to how CSS handles color. I don't know if the CSS3
color-profile model will help any. (Another CSS-related idea would be
to attempt to recast everything in system colors.)

Ultimately, what would work better is simply a browser plug-in for
users, which transforms colors as they need 'em.

I think this is a good idea.

--Kynn

Next Book: Teach Yourself CSS in 24       http://cssin24hours.com