Re: /colour/colourblindness.html

From: Charles F. Munat <chas@munat.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2002 16:38:40 -0800
To: w3c-wai-gl@w3.org
Kynn Bartlett wrote:

> Unfortunately can't do it just by doing, e.g.:
>
> (x) Apply a generic style sheet to a page.
>
> You need to have that analysis and mapping and application
> process.

Why? Why can't I just map all reds on the page -- for example -- to a
known color that I can recognize? Granted, the color space is smaller,
but how many colors are used on a web page typically?

If I can't see reds, for example, then maybe I can map reds to a
particular shade of blue and other blues to another shade of blue. Or
better yet, maybe I could add some sort of text decoration -- an
overline maybe -- to any text that was red.

Obviously images would be a problem (another blow to text-in-images),
but if CSS can override the default colors, why wouldn't this work?

And as for mapping colors to colors, if I knew which colors were mapped
to which (and it was consistent across pages), then even if a site said
something such as "new items are in red," I would know that this
particular shade of blue corresponded to red, so I'd still be able to
get around it.

It might not work 100% of the time, but why wouldn't it work most of the
time?

Charles F. Munat
Seattle, Washington