Re: 20 Sept 2001 minutes

From: Alan J. Flavell <flavell@a5.ph.gla.ac.uk>
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2001 21:52:28 +0100 (BST)
To: Jim Ley <jim@jibbering.com>
cc: <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
On Fri, 21 Sep 2001, Jim Ley wrote:

> I am absolutely horrified by the notion of requiring scripts, we have CERT
> advisory's stating scripting should be disabled, we have a level of
> scripting ability amongst developers that is pathetic, most can hardly
> make scripts that work, let alone scripts that work and are accessible.
> There's little that scripts give that make otherwise inaccessible content
> accessible (are there some examples or even just ideas?)

When I first 'met' you on Usenet, Jim, I had pretty-much given up ever
seeing useful scripting on web pages.  However, you have shown me a
range of really worthwhile script-based techniques that can be applied
at the _client_ side irrespective of the page-authors' intentions ;-)
that can help with accessing the (variously misguided) authors'
content.

> I'm extremely pro-scripting, but it cannot and should not be relied on in
> webpages.

By and large I'm afraid I have to agree with that verdict (after all,
if most of the page-provided scripts are notable only for their
nuisance value, and a not-insignificant small fraction are for
exploiting security holes, is it any wonder that users disable
scripting or filter it out?); but you've shown a number of useful
techniques which the client can apply, and it seems to me this has
considerable prospects for further development and exploitation.

all the best