BIG ISSUES

From: Gregg Vanderheiden <gv@trace.wisc.edu>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 12:35:08 -0500
To: "GLWAI Guidelines WG \(GL - WAI Guidelines WG\)" <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
Here is the list of big issues we collected at the meeting.   I will
reword them better later.  but I wanted to report them exactly here.

This was just what people said as we went round the table.   If you have
additional BIG ISSUES to add, please send them to the list with BIG
ISSUE in the Subject line.

1. Baseline browser capabilities
      - in general
      - in specific contexts (intranet, public kiosk)
2. User literacy level
3. Differences by language
4. What is an equivalent?
5. How document is interpreted by non-technical people
6. Implementation
7. Normative vs. informative (do we need normative?)
8. One version for all vs. multiple versions of web content
   - client-side vs. server-side
    - reading levels
9. Access for absolutely all?    - If not, how to draw line
10. Guidelines for all sites vs. special sites
11. Do we intend guidelines to be used by regulators and
requirements-setters (e.g., in companies)?
12. Accessibility vs. usability
13. Conformance - why do it? How to test?
14. Author and user needs conflict
15. User and user needs conflict added after the vote