[w3c-wai-gl] <none>

Subject: Re: K-State example
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 16:42:27 -0000

"Al Gilman" Wrote:

><<http://www.ksu.edu/>http://www.ksu.edu/><http://www.ksu.edu/>http://ww
w.ks
>u.edu/
>>>
>>>What I liked about this example is the fact
>>>that the information that is presented in the flyout
>>>submenus that depend on running the scripts is still
>>>available in the destination pages if you turn scripting
>>>off and just follow hyperlinks.
>>>
>>>That is the characteristic of this page that I found meritorious.
>>>If there is a better way to script it, do let's find an example of
>>>it done the better way.

Well, before I recieved this email, I quickly knocked up a menu system
(I'd been meaning to, and I was waiting on something so couldn't do any
"real work".)  I think it's accessible, and it seems to work okay:

http://jibbering.com/accessibility/menu.html

The dynamic elements are only attempted in DOM2 browsers (only checked in
IE5.5 and NN6.1 and Mozilla.)  Obviously everything's only HTML+CSS
within the menus, so you'd probably want to make them look better in the
various situations (I'm _not_ a designer.)  The main problem is the
amount of change that happens with the "onload" event, as the user can
still see the old content - this would'n't be so noticeable if the
content was longer.

There's still a couple of improvements I can see, but as a quick example
I thought I'd post it, there's also <URL:
http://jibbering.com/accessibility/tabcontrol2.html > which is an example
of the ever popular "tabcontrol" which is hopefully somewhat accessible
and <URL: http://jibbering.com/accessibility/lightmap.html > which was an
attempt at implementing a "light map" on a page - I'm not sure how
universal these are, but in English towns you often (used?) to get maps
of the area, where if you pushed a button a light lit up on the map
identifying it.

>Well, the following fuzzy idea may take XML as opposed to HTML to do
directly,
>perhaps.
>
>- the menu contents is all in the XML source and the script permutes the
>visibility and or placement -

I did the above before reading this, and I seem to have done this purely
in HTML, positioning of the popup is done by the A element, and it's
associated by a LABEL - would the existence of the pretty meaningless
LABEL's be a problem?  Mozilla seems to have a keyboard access of the
submenu problem, could be a bug positioned elements A's not appearing in
the tabbed link list?

>For browsing in speech, folding and unfolding individual branches of a
tree is
>not that good an idea; probably better to have a table of contents with
one
>global depth parameter and then browse the top n tiers of the contents
tree.

I should probably add, much like the tabcontrol example, the ability to
switch off the menus, for this.  Any thoughts on the implementations?

Jim.