Modularization

From: Joe Clark <joeclark@joeclark.org>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2001 17:42:16 -0400 (EDT)
To: WAI-GL <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
As for Charles' idea to separate WCAG into three sections: Ladies
and gentlemen, we have a winner.

It doesn't require us to get a waiver from Tim Berners-Lee or to
somehow violate our charter. We can still offer a single WCAG. But
we can model ourselves after the XHTML kidz and offer a
*modularized* WCAG.

In this system, there would be a single container called the WCAG
with three components (with whatever names we decide on).

It would thus be possible for someone in the real world to claim
compliance (a word I don't mind at all) with the whole WCAG or just
modules 1 and 2, or 1, or 2, or 3, or 1 and 3, or 2 and 3.

In reality, we're already modular: Think of Priority 1/2/3
guidelines and Level A/AA/AAA conformance. What's a little more
modularity among friends? I hear it's even legal in Islamic
countries, and that a certain bar in Nairobi can be... *interesting*
for modularists.

This is surely the best idea I've heard all year.

--
        Joe Clark | joeclark@joeclark.org
        Accessibility articles, resources, and critiques: