RE: A PROPOSAL TO SPLIT THE WCAG IN THREE. Please read this. I'm serious.

From: Kynn Bartlett <kynn-edapta@idyllmtn.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2001 14:20:31 -0700
To: Anne Pemberton <apembert@erols.com>, "WAI Guidelines WG" <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
At 4:47 PM -0400 2001/8/20, Anne Pemberton wrote:
>	Took Chas idea of separating the guidelines into those
>related to content and those related to coding, and ended up with
>three groups .... those that are purely content - all decisions
>would be out of the hands of the coder (unless the content designer
>and coder were the same person), those that require a action and/or
>decision by the content designer and action by the coder, and those
>that (seem to me) to be purely the bailiwick of the coder.
>Please feel free to rip these categories to shreds.

My belief is that web accessibility consists of two things, and only
two things:

      1.  Knowing what information you need provide.
      2.  Knowing how to encode that correctly.

I think this is true for every single checkpoint, that it has both of
these qualities.  For those reasons the separation of "content" from
"coding" is inaccurate; rightly, all of the checkpoints should belong
in "mixed."

The above two points are, I believe, the purest abstraction of what
WCAG and web accessibility are all about.

Kynn Bartlett <kynn@reef.com>
Technical Developer Liaison
Reef North America
Tel +1 949-567-7006