RE: Simplest and clearest...

At 2:15 PM -0700 2001/8/18, Charles F. Munat wrote:
>Gravity's Rainbow is a work of art. As such:
>
>2. There is no visual equivalent of Gravity's Rainbow. It doesn't even work
>in translation. You might get a similar effect, the plot might be the same,
>but the power of Gravity's Rainbow depends in large part on the *way* it is
>written. Change one word and it is *no longer Gravity's Rainbow*.
>
>Thus Gravity's Rainbow, as with all art, IS in its clearest and simplest
>form at the time of its publication and *no equivalents are possible*.

Chaz, a hypothetical:

I'm a graphic artist.  I work for a web development company.  My
"art" is the specific visual design I craft and create for my clients.
Likewise, I have my own personal site, which is an expression of my
thoughts and feelings, in visual form.  The colors, the fonts, the
graphics -- they're all chosen to represent some aspect of my soul.

The minute you start changing those visual parameters, you've just
made something which is *no longer my work of art*.  It is something
else.  Because it's art, IS in its clearest and simplest form at
time of creation, and *no equivalents are possible*.

Right or wrong?

--Kynn

PS:  What is the longdesc for the Mona Lisa?

--
Kynn Bartlett <kynn@reef.com>
Technical Developer Liaison