Re: Action item: "default"

From: Al Gilman <asgilman@iamdigex.net>
Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2001 12:31:43 -0400
To: w3c-wai-gl@w3.org
At 07:34 AM 2001-08-18 , Anne Pemberton wrote:

> Excuse me for being still very confused what is intended by 4.4

AG: If you are confused, you are reading well.  It is confused.

What we should do in this area is roughly as follows:

1.  Make 4.4 conditional.  That is to say, "Where the format defines a default
or plain mode of interaction, make sure your content degrades gracefully and
remains operational in this mode."

2.  Mark this item as dependent on an ongoing activity.  The best way to say
this depends on the TBD results of the Device Independence work, and the WCAG
should be tightened in future rewrites to the extent that we have been able to
make progress, there.

Al