Re: Wording issues

Al,

         I think I see one point that may help. Is the style of writing
related to the site's content, or the site's purpose?
Should we be saying:

         Write clearly and simply as appropriate to the purpose of the site ...

         Use clear and simple language that is appropriate to the site's
purpose.

         Use the clearest and simplest language that is appropriate to the
purpose of the site.

                                 Anne

At 12:15 PM 8/16/01 -0400, Al Gilman wrote:
>The original is still hard to read right.
>
>A likely expectation at the point where you leave 'possible' <br> and hit
>'and'
>is to expect a compound predicate or compound sentence, but not to be ready
>for
>a compound object of the preposition 'as.'
>
>The proposed alternate does not substantially eliminate this problem.  It
>still
>takes two takes to get "in a way" associated with "as possible" and not
>"Write..."
>
>Consider the following other variations:
>
>- Write as clearly and as simply as you can, without misrepresenting the
>site's
>content.
>
>- Write in the clearest and simplest language that is still consistent with
>the
>site's content.
>
>- While remaining faithful to the site's content, write as clearly and simply
>as you can.
>
>- Write as clearly and simply as you can while remaining faithful to the
>site's
>content.
>
>There is a conflict between the wish to front-load a simple imperative and the
>fact that this rule involves the interaction of two clauses, one a 'satisfy
>constraint' clause and the other an 'optimize quality' clause.
>
>Al

Anne Pemberton
apembert@erols.com

http://www.erols.com/stevepem