Alt keys verses accesskey

From: Daniel Newman <dnewman@globalformats.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 23:39:34 +0200
To: <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
When I make accesskeys for items on my page do I need to consider the
accesskey defaults of each browsers' Menu items.  For instance IE for
windows has F- file, E-edit, V-view, A-favorites, etc.  If I was to want to
use accesskey="a" on my page it seems to override my default.  I think
overriding default ALT keys could render the browser inaccessible.

I was hoping to use sequential accesskeys for my page to make it simple to
navigate from one item to another.  I initially was using ABCDEF.  When
doing
so I rendered the Favorates, Edit and File menus inoperable on IE for
windows.

I ended up using 1-9 but obviously that gives me a very limited set for
accesskeys.

Is there a way a user is able to override the accesskey suggestion on the
page or am I creating problems for my users.  Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Daniel Newman
GlobalFormats Inc.