RE: Combing checkpoints 1.2 and 1.3

Greg, Charles and all,

         Yes, requiring multiple forms of information is different than
requiring that information be in text form (so that it can be rendered
visually and auditorily when the user has the necessary hardware.  But they
are similar in that, combined, they require information be presented in
both the multiple forms, and in the text (usable in visual and auditory),
so that all needs are met .... there is a common goal ... and
interchangeable forms ....

         What we want to tell web developers is that both text and non-text
content are necessary. We really shouldn't spread the message over two
checkpoints unless essential to conform to some other organization in the
checkpoint scheme....

         If we close 3.4 into 1.1, we can also close the new 1.2 into 1.1,
as techniques to accomplish the goal of inter-usability of content ....

         If we close in old checkpoints into new inclusive ones, we need to
be sure that all the important points, including the "auditory description"
added to a multi-media is included. (Personally, I hope it's added to an
optional track that I don't have to listen to if I want to hear the
original ...) ....

                                                         Anne

At 01:14 PM 8/4/01 -0500, Gregg Vanderheiden wrote:
>Requiring multiple forms of information is very different than requiring
>that information be in a form that can be rendered in different forms.
>
>1.1. and 3.4 are fundamentally different in this respect.
>
>I do not think we should combine them.
>

>RE 1.2 and 1.3 --- the problem is again that 1.3 is the only place audio
>description is required.
>
>Gregg
>

>-- ------------------------------
>Gregg C Vanderheiden Ph.D.