RE: RE Checkpoint 3.4 again

Anne -

Most eLearning providers today provide an "LMS" - a Learning Management
System. This is either locally hosted or is an ASP model (Application
Service Provider), hosted by the eLearning company. Once that is established
and the school is constructed and set up with courses created for the
instructor, the instructor then populates the course with material. This is
how nearly all work.

eCollege, and some other eLearning companies, provide extensive course
development help. So our folks will take content and help construct it in
visually appealing ways with interactive elements to help students
understand and 'interact' with the ideas presented. In this way course
content is 'enabled' with interesting and new technologies.

I don't think we've ever done a course with a bad movie with bad sound
showing a bald dude wearing a patched jacket blocking the board he's writing
on. I suppose we could <grin />.

The relationship, then, between the LMS and what the course content is and
does is often up to the professor and the resources he/she has at hand. But
you're right on about course development professionals having a
responsibility to ensure content, ideas and relationships are expressed in
many varied ways.

Again, though, it comes back to a resource question and how feasable it is
for people to pay for those services. But that's a side issue ...

Joel Sanda
Product Manager
eCollege
joels@ecollege.com